Upward Bound Math & Science
The Upward Bound Math and Science Program (UB M/S) serves 67 Jemison, Columbia, and Lee High School students. The program is designed to prepare participants for postsecondary studies that lead to careers in the fields of math and science. The services provided are necessary to motivate, encourage, and train participants for matriculation in Mathematics and Science majors and for pursuit of careers in these technical fields. UBMS offers a twelve-month program of support, which includes an Academic Year Support Program, a Summer Program, and a Bridge Component. The twelve-month program will transition the students smoothly from academic year studies to the intensive summer curriculum and into college enrollment through the Bridge Component. The Academic Year Support program offers after-school tutorial assistance for two hours and six-Saturday sessions during the academic year. Additional tutoring hours are available during the week and during Saturday sessions if needed.
Interested students must:
- Show interest in the area(s) of math and science
- Have a 2.5 GPA
- Submit an application packet and verification of income
- Submit two letters of recommendation (one from a school teacher and one from a counselor)
- Additional information may be required
Participants in the program receive:
- Intensive Services to Prepare High School Students for Graduation and Postsecondary Enrollment
- College and Course Selection
- Leadership Development Workshops
- Scientific Research and Math Exploration
- Study and Test-Taking Skills Workshops
- Professional Speakers
- Career Shadowing
- Career Searches
- English: Grammar and Literature
- Computer Science
- Participant-conducted scientific research under the guidance of a faculty member or graduate student serving as the participant’s mentor.
- Scholarship Searches
- Assistance with Completion of Applications
Summer Residential Summer Program
- A six week program conducted on the campus of the University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Participants devote a minimum of five hours each day in formal instruction in the areas of Math, Science, English, Computer Science, and a foreign language.
- Offered to UB M/S graduates as a transitional experience between high school and college.
- Participants are able to enroll in two courses offered by the University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Visits to Educational and Cultural Sites
Our general services are free, but specialized services and books for prep classes may require a fee. All information remains confidential.
For more information on this service Contact Derry Smith at (256) 372-4600.