The Upward Bound Program (UB) serves 67 students in Huntsville City Schools – Columbia, Lee, and J.O. Johnson High Schools. It is designed to generate the skills and motivation necessary to persist in completing a program of secondary and postsecondary education. UB has a twelve-month comprehensive program that is divided into three separate components: Academic Year Component, Intensive Six-week Summer Component, and the Bridge Component. The Academic Component includes counseling, daily after-school tutoring, and a weekend program that meets for scheduled Saturday sessions. Students are required to enroll in college prep courses by their sophomore year. All participants are provided supplemental instruction, tutoring, and activities to ensure completion of secondary education. The Summer Component offers academic enrichment, personal development, and cultural awareness. It is hosted by the University of Alabama in Huntsville. The Summer Component offers college preparatory courses, electives, academic, career and personal counseling, recreational activities, and field trips. The Bridge Component is to ensure that participating graduates have the transitional experience between high school and college. Based upon individualized student programs developed as a result of student profiles, students enroll in four to six hours of transferable courses (Mathematics and English) offered by UAH. UB serves high school students from low-income families, and also high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree.
Interested students must:
- Submit an application packet and verification of income
- Submit proof of academic potential
- Submit two letters of recommendation (one from a school teacher and one from a counselor)
- Additional information may be required
Participants in the program receive:
- College and Course Selection
- Study and Test-Taking Skills Workshops
- Leadership Development Workshops
- Job Interviewing Techniques
- Career Shadowing
- Career Searches
- Professional Speakers
- English: Grammar and Literature
- Computer Science
- Scholarship Searches
- Assistance with Completion of Applications
Summer Residential Summer Program
- A six week program conducted on the campus of the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- Participants devote a minimum of five hours each day in formal instruction in the areas of Math, Science, English, Computer Science, and a foreign language.
- Offered to UB graduates as a transitional experience between high school and college.
- Participants are able to enroll in two courses offered by the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- Visits to Educational and Cultural Sites
ALL services are free, and all information remains confidential.
For more information on this service call: (256) 372-4600.